Lord, God, my Creator,
Be close to me now.
My soul yearns for your presence.
Daily Prayer - 2012-12-14
Lord, God, my Creator,
Lord, I pray for your gift of freedom.
May your Holy Spirit
guide those in power to work for
equality for all your people.
In God's loving presence I unwind the past day,
starting from now and looking back, moment by moment.
I gather in all the goodness and light, in gratitude.
I attend to the shadows and what they say to me,
seeking healing, courage, forgiveness.
Jesus spoke to the crowds, "But to what will I compare this generation? It is like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling to one another, 'We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we wailed, and you did not mourn.' For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, 'He has a demon'; the Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."
Some thoughts on today's scripture
- The Lord had always wanted to shower his people with favours and with gifts. But often when the offer was made (through the mouth of his messengers, the prophets), the peoples turned their backs. In fact even as Jesus would have been preparing to begin his public ministry, this was still happening - they refused the message of John the Baptist. So it was no surprise that Jesus himself began to meet opposition.
- What was on offer from the Lord had always been happiness deep as a river in spate, children and descendants without number. But what the people chose to do was sulk – to Jesus, their objection was the company that he ate and drank with; to John, their objection had been that he neither ate nor drank, but fasted.
- Jesus has arrived offering the gift of new life in abundance – but we all often remain choosy about the packaging in which his message is showcased (too ‘churchy’ – or too worldly)…if only we took to prayer, we might find our hearts becoming more open.
God’s Word is always fruitful.
How is it touching me now
As I reflect on what I have just prayed?
Do I feel comforted?
Do I feel challenged?
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning,
is now and ever shall be,
world without end.
If you appreciated the daily prayer or have any suggestions or insights we will be glad to hear from you.
- Sacred Space
- Return to the homepage
- Living Space
- Commentaries on the daily readings
- Chapel of Intentions
- Add your Prayer Request and pray for others
- Chapel of Remembrance
- Your prayer for the departed
- Pray with the Pope
- This month's intentions from the Apostleship of Prayer
- What others thought about Sacred Space
- Novena to the Sacred Heart
- Text and audio for nine days
- About Sacred Space
- The origin of the site and using the prayer
- Frequently asked Questions about Sacred Space
- Contact us
- Let us know what you think about Sacred Space